"Let us not tell our children the sad tale of how we watched as the last elephants, rhinos and tigers died out,
but the inspiring story of how we turned the tide and preserved them for all humanity"
--- Prince William, Oct 2015
November 30, 2019 — Remembrance Day for Lost Species
“We are presently losing dozens of species every day, according to the Center for Biological Diversity. Nearly 20,000 species of plants and animals are at a high risk of extinction and if trends continue, Earth could see another mass extinction event within a few centuries.” (HuffPost, 11-30-18). Above you see the now-extinct West African Black Rhino — this species was driven to extinction due to human poaching for their prized horn.
Happy 85th Birthday Jane Goodall – Thank you for inspiring us to all be leaders of Conservation of Plants and Animals!
Thank you for all your decades of scientific rigor in understanding wild chimpanzees, and thank you for your decades of environmental leadership, which we hope will continue for years to come! We are eternally grateful to you!
In Memoriam, Wayne Lotter, Anti-Poaching Hero
Murdered August 16, 2017, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
It is with great sadness that we reflect upon the brave life and horrific death of Wayne Lotter, a true hero in the conservation and anti-poaching of Africa's wildlife. His cold-blooded murder in Tanzania is believed to be directly linked to previous death threats from the elephant poachers he tirelessly worked to stop through his Tanzania-based non-profit, PAMS Foundation. He was a kind friend and continued supporter of Save A Horny Friend, asking nothing from us, yet encouraging endlessly. His death is one of thousands of anti-poachers that we do not want to see go in vain. Let us all reflect on our roles and actions that affect wildlife, the environment and illegal activities around these natural gems. Wayne, you will be in our hearts always and be sorely missed by those who knew you as well as by those who valued your work, not just in Africa, but around the whole world. Rest in peace, kind friend.
Save The Wild Tech / Save A Horny Friend Foundation's mission is to fight poachers who slaughter our precious wildlife and kill humans in their midst.
SAHF Founder, Valerie Kosheleff, Interview for Earth Day 2017 on Extinction, Evolution and You
Save A Horny Friend is Now Saving Rhinos and Elephants...
and the Human Dating Scene Too!
Looking to perfect your dating skills? Been out of the dating scene for a while? Shy? Need a confidence boost? Having trouble understanding the opposite sex?
We are ready to help you or your friend get your groove back, help you feel more confident, learn evolutionary strategies to have a successful first date and increase your chance of getting a second date! So, secure your "Dating Coaching to Fight Wildlife Poaching" appointment today, either for yourself or as a present for a friend! Learn more right now, click here!
Great video explaining why the ivory trade continues historically
It is inconceivable to imagine Africa without its elephants. Yet as poaching reaches critical levels, we are heading ever-closer to that grim reality. We take an in-depth look at why the demand for ivory skyrocketed, how the illegal wildlife trade is a threat to global security and what is being done to save Africa's elephants from extinction.
Listen to the Founder's summary on 91x in San Diego, CA about World Rhino Day and Global March for Elephants and Rhinos!
Humans and Wildlife Alike Murdered by Poachers
Jan 30, 2016 - British antipoaching helicopter pilot, Roger Gower, murdered by elephant poachers while on patrol in Tanzania. Improved antipoaching techniques such as our surveillance equipment will help prevent these needless deaths. Every three days another ranger is murdered by poachers. Please help right now to end this human and animal slaughter. Learn more: "Elephant Poachers Shoot and Kill British Pilot.'
Drones v Poachers Hide and Seek - this video shows how hard it is to see a poacher in the bush, unless you know where to look...
Go Wild Shopping... To Save The Wild & Save Money!
Only 3 Easy Steps, click: Wild.CauseNetwork.com
Sign up to the right for the Newsletter so you don't miss more of the amazing events we put on like our spectacular Comedy Fundraiser!
Participating in the biggest event of 2015 -
One Ton of Confiscated Ivory Crushed in Times Square, NYC
Friday, June 17, 2015 — Times Square New York City
Save A Horny Friend Foundation was validated at this historic event in the middle of Times Square, which boasted politicians and activists publicly deploring the illegal ivory that continues to enter and be sold in the United States. Standing clear in their resolve to tolerate zero ivory trade, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service reinforced a commitment to prosecute those who continue to fuel this ever-growing trade that has already devastated on average 50% of Africa's elephant population in only six years. Following public statements from seven officials, 1 ton of ivory was crushed to solidify the resolve. #SaveAHornyFriend and #IvoryCrush. See the Events Page for more details!
POACHING IS DECIMATING ELEPHANTS & RHINOS
In the last 100 years, through hunting culling and poaching, humans have wiped out 96% of these two majestic species, leaving less than 20,000 rhino and perhaps 300,000 elephants left in Africa, with only negligible wild populations in Asia. In 2014 and 2015, many countries reported declines of >50% of their elephant populations. There is hope but we must act now.
Humans Affected by Poaching
Poaching devastates human lives on three fronts: 1. Millions of Africans' livelihoods depend on safaris and ecotourism - from hospitality at safari lodges to selling trinkets to tourists at the airport, 2. An anti-poaching ranger is murdered by a poacher every three days, and 3. Approximately 40% of funding for international terrorists rings comes from the ivory and rhino horn trade.
Ecosystems Affected by Poaching
Although our most immediate goal appears to be to prevent rhinos and elephants from being hunted to extinction, the true greater task is to ensure that they remain in healthy populations in every ecosystem where they formerly lived. Large keystone species such as rhino and elephant are crucial for ecosystem health, which in the end affects the wellbeing of rural humans, as well as those whose livelihoods depend on ecotourism.
News & Worthy Links
*** Kathryn Bigelow's short film, Last Days, on how ivory trade fuels international terrorism ***
*** Jon Stewart of The Daily Show illuminating the absurdity of the poaching crisis and who is behind it: Tusky Business ***
*** US House of Representatives, Committee on Foreign Affairs Hearing Feb 2014, "INTERNATIONAL WILDLIFE TRAFFICKING THREATS TO CONSERVATION AND NATIONAL SECURITY"
- Sep 24, 2016 - CITES COP 17 Debates Global Ivory Ban.
- Mar 9, 2016 - Great article on the state of the rhino poaching crisis
- Jan 39, 2016 - British Helicopter Pilot, Roger Gower, Murdered by Elephant Poachers.
- Dec 30, 2015 - Elephant Action League publishes 50-page report on China's ivory consumption.
- Nov 22, 2015 - Nola, last Northern White Rhino in captivity passes, leaving only 3 in the world.
- Aug 12, 2015 - World Elephant Day with Great Elephant Census reporting devastating results
- July 27, 2015 - Obama Proposes Ban on Almost All Ivory Sales in US
- July 22, 2015 - USA Still Major Consumer of Ivory
- July 2015 - Elephant Action League Report: Pushing Ivory Out of Africa
- June 19, 2015 - #IVORYCRUSH - US to Crush more than One Ton of Confiscated Ivory
- June 3, 2015 - Survey Report: Tanzania has lost 60% and Mozambique 50% of its elephants in last six years
- May 21, 2015 - International Biodiversity Day
- May 15, 2015 - International Endangered Species Day
- Apr 29, 2015 - Presentation at Phillips Exeter Academy
- Apr 22, 2015 - Hera Herald feature article, Saving the Planet Through Sustainability
- Apr 19, 2015 - SAHF at San Diego's Earth Fair
- Mar 20, 2015 - Thailand Burns 6.1 Tons of Ivory Trinkets
- Mar 14, 2015 - SAHF Interviewed for new Drone TV on International Drone Day
- Mar 02, 2015 - First Conviction of Ivory Traders Using Carbon Dating
- Feb 26, 2015 - China Imposes 1 Year Ban on Ivory Imports
- Feb 22, 2015 - David Attenborough Calls On Chinese President to Stop the Ivory Trade
- Feb 15, 2015 - Press Release: New Laws for Small Unmanned Aerial Vehicles in USA
- Feb 12, 2015 - SAHF had a fun and successful FUNdraiser on Darwin's Birthday in celebration of wildlife everywhere!
- Feb 11, 2015 - US Federal Government releases its National Strategy for Combating Wildlife Trafficking
- Jan 7, 2015 - CA Assembly Bill 96 Proposes to Crack Down on Ivory Trade In California
- Jan 2015 - Ivory Sold Publicly in San Francisco - I befriended an ivory dealer to learn more
- Nov 15, 2013 - 1st Historic US Crush of Stockpile of Ivory